Does CBD oil expire?
Copy article link to clipboard.
Link copied to clipboard.
- How long does CBD oil last?
- Does CBD oil go bad?
- What is the best way to store CBD oil?
A bottle of high-quality CBD oil can be expensive, and if you’re like us, you want to make that liquid gold last as long as possible. If you’re only using a few drops a day, it could be many months or even a year before you use up the entire bottle. Which might leave you asking yourself, “Does CBD oil expire?”
Here are answers to some common questions about CBD longevity, including how to extend the shelf life of CBD oil.
How long does CBD oil last?
The general rule of thumb is that CBD oil has a shelf life ranging from 14 months to two years, depending on how the product is stored. Direct sunlight and intense heat are two factors that can cause a bottle of CBD oil to go bad before its expiration date. Higher-quality products tend to last longer, especially those that have been minimally processed like full-spectrum CBD oil. Pure CBD oil may last longer than flavored oils since any added ingredients have a shelf life of their own that could be shorter than the shelf life of the CBD.
The general rule of thumb is that CBD oil has a shelf life ranging from 14 months to two years, depending on how the product is stored. Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps
It’s also a good idea to be aware of what extraction process was used to make the product. Many cannabis experts agree that the CO2 method is best for producing premium oil that stays potent longer because the hemp or cannabis compounds remain stable during this type of extraction. Other methods may destabilize the compounds, potentially creating a lower-quality bottle of CBD oil with a shorter shelf life.
Any CBD product — whether it’s top-shelf or bargain-priced — should have an expiration date clearly printed on the label. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires such labeling for consumer protection, so steer clear of any CBD products (or any products for that matter) that are not in compliance.
Does CBD oil go bad?
CBD oil can lose its potency if stored improperly or kept for longer than two years. Weak CBD oil means that the cannabinoids have broken down and don’t function at peak levels in the body. So, an older bottle is less likely to deliver any of the potential therapeutic effects of CBD oil, such as pain relief.
How do I know if CBD oil has gone bad?
The aroma and flavor of CBD oil may become unpleasant over time, transforming from earthy to skunky. You can also observe visual changes in the oil, which may turn cloudy over time. Likewise, the texture of CBD oil will change and the oil may appear thicker and lose its smooth consistency. Lastly, a change in color indicates that the CBD oil is no longer fresh.
Can old CBD oil make you sick?
CBD oil does not spoil or turn rancid like milk or other oils, so you are unlikely to become ill if you consume a small amount of the product past its prime. This is especially true if you are microdosing. But to be on the safe side, toss any bottles that have been improperly stored or sitting in your medicine cabinet for longer than two years.
What is the best way to store CBD oil?
Manufacturers know that cool, dark places are optimal for storing CBD oil, which is why many of the best products are packaged in glass bottles tinted green. Dark green bottles prevent damaging sunlight from penetrating and hastening the product’s expiration date. Refrigerating CBD oil is not necessary. In fact, the most favorable environment may just be room temperature, or 60 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
Tinted bottles prevent damaging sunlight from penetrating and hastening the product’s expiration date. Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps
How can I make CBD oil last longer?
Here are some pointers to keep CBD oil fresh until the upper end of the shelf-life range (24 months):
- Open the bottle only when in use, then reseal the cap tightly. Oxidation is a foe of CBD and will shorten the shelf life.
- Keep CBD soft gels and capsules in their original bottle, ensuring that containers are consistently airtight.
- Store bottles upright rather than horizontally.
- Find the coolest, darkest place in your home to store CBD oils and tinctures. Drawers, cabinets, a pantry, and the cellar all make ideal CBD storage centers.
- Try not to store your CBD in a room where you use a humidifier, as excessive moisture can encourage mold to form.
- Do not store CBD oil near a window. Direct sunlight will accelerate the expiration date of any CBD product.
- Keep CBD oil away from all warm places in your home, such as radiators and ovens. Likewise, don’t store CBD oil in your purse or pocket for long periods. Any warm place can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
- If you’re using a spoon or a dropper to dole out the CBD, make sure the utensil is clean. Don’t “double dip” a spoon, as you can introduce harmful bacteria and contaminate the oil.
When it comes to keeping your CBD oil potent, Dr. Bonni Goldstein, a medical adviser to Weedmaps and director of Canna-Centers in Lawndale, California, sums it up best: “Shelf life for most products is about one year, although the storage conditions are important. Minimizing exposure to heat and light can help extend the shelf life.”
Does CBD oil expire? Copy article link to clipboard. Link copied to clipboard. Contents How long does CBD oil last? Does CBD oil go bad? What is the best way to store CBD
Does CBD Oil Expire?
Does CBD Oil Expire?
Can CBD Oil & CBD Products Expire?
CBD oil is becoming increasingly more popular in the UK. Most people who consume it will commonly take it sublingually (under the tongue) every morning as they wake up. With bottles for general retail being found in 10 or 30ml quantities.
As such, with regular use, these will be consumed within a month or two meaning you wont have to worry about the shelf-life of your product.
Related Article: CBD Vs THC
However, if you have purchased a big bottle or if you use CBD quite infrequently, then you may need to worry about preventing your CBD from degrading. Fortunately for you, there is many steps that you can take to ensure that you dont waste your hard-earned money.
CBD Oil Shelf Life
From the point when CBD has been extracted from the cannabis plant and place into a carrier oil, its shelf-life will generally be around 2 years when stored in the conditions stated on the bottle this will be in a cool, dark and dry place. To abide by these rules, you must: –
- Keep out of direct sunlight – You may have noticed that bottles of CBD tinctures will come in brown glass bottles, to minimize light exposure.
- Keep in a cool place – This can be achieved by keeping it refrigerated or at the very least keeping the bottle out of direct sunlight and away from any potential heat sources. In the unlikely event that you are storing CBD for multiple years then it is possible to store in the freezer (just ensure it has fully thawed before us). If CBD isn’t kept cool the CBD will gradually convert into other cannabinoids which will cause the strength of your CBD oil to drop.
365CBD Flavoured Tincture Oil 3000mg CBD 30ml – Natural
CBD Asylum 1000mg CBD Pro Oil 20ml
Ignite CBD 1200mg CBD Flavoured Oil 30ml
- Minimize exposure to air Air can slowly deteriorate your CBD product. You may have noticed that all CBD oil product comes in air-tight containers. This means that when using it, you should minimise the amount of time that the lid is off and to ensure when the lid is returned to the product it is completely screwed on.
- Store upright This might sound quite simple but ensure that the bottle is stored upright as intended. If the bottle isnt then the CBD may come into contact will other materials other than the glass bottle, such as plastic lids or the dropper pipettes at the top of the bottle, for example.
- Avoid contamination If your CBD comes with a pipette dropper for using sublingually (under the tongue), then ensure that you dont touch the dropper into your mouth. This could pass germs into the liquid which may deteriorate. Also ensure that you have clean and dry hands prior to using CBD-based products to reduce germs and water entering the product. If your CBD oil has no pipette dropper, you may consider transferring your dose onto a spoon before ingesting.
How Can You Preserve CBD?
Some general tips for keeping your CBD at the best quality are:
- Reading the manufacture instructions Not all CBD-based products are created equally, some have different concentrations of cannabinoids and may contain different carrier oils such coconut oil or vegetable oil. All these factors mean that each bottle will have a different shelf-life and different tips from the manufacture to ensure the product stays as intended.
- Regularly check the product If your cannabis-based product has gone bad, you will be able to tell by either smelling the product or checking the appearance to see if it has gone rancid or not. The product may have lost potency whilst not going off or mouldy, so this technique wont necessarily work in all cases, but will keep you from ingesting something that wont make you ill. A CBD product that has deteriorated will generally go from a clear colour to a fuller, darker colour.
- Keep out of the reach of children It goes without saying that you should be keeping your supplements and medicines out of the reach of children, and this also goes for your CBD oil. Whilst CBD doesnt have a known point in which you can overdose and wont cause your children to get high or stoned, it is safe practice and will also stop children from potentially contaminating your product.
- Only freeze when necessary To ensure that you can also use your CBD product, dont always store in sub-zero conditions. This will stop you wasting time in thawing it every time you need to use it.
- Throw product away if expired If your product has gone over the manufacture expiry date (and you havent ensured it wont go off by freezing it) then this means that they can no longer guarantee the product is safe to use. The better method would be ensuring you have used it completely prior to this date.
Frequently Asked Questions About CBD Oil
Can CBD Really Expire? – Conclusion
With only the smallest amount of care and attention, you can ensure that your CBD-based products stay at the highest quality for the longest amount of time.
[shop_slider title=”Shop CBD Products” count=”6″ show=”best-selling” category=”cbd-oil” orderby=”date” order=”DESC”]
[button title=”How Long Does CBD Stay in your System?” link=”/learn/how-long-does-cbd-stay-in-your-system” target=”” align=”” icon=”” icon_position=”” color=”#ffcc00″ background_color=”#ffcc00″ font_color=”” size=”2″ full_width=”” download=”” rel=”” onclick=””][button title=”The 10 Best CBD Oil Brands in the UK” link=”/cbd-oil-reviews/the-10-best-cbd-oil-brands-in-the-uk” target=”” align=”” icon=”” icon_position=”” color=”#ffcc00″ background_color=”#ffcc00″ font_color=”” size=”2″ full_width=”” download=”” rel=”” onclick=””]
What is the shelf-life of CBD Oil? Does CBD Oil go Bad? How can you preserve it? Follow our steps to ensure that you dont waste your hard-earned money.