Benefits of Hemp Oil for Reducing Hair Loss
Hemp (Cannabis) oil contains many natural vitamins, fatty acids and proteins that are good for your hair and skin. We have already written of the many benefits it has for facial hair, but hemp oil is a great weapon against hair loss, thinning hair, and for hair regrowth.
Losing hair can of course be caused by many different factors that include genetics, infection, illness, hormone imbalance, poor nutrition and stress. So any remedy will have to look at all of these as the possible cause.
But hemp or cannabis oil has many proven hair growing, restoring and thickening properties that make it a great product to start using right away. Here are the main reasons that it really does help those that are follically challenged:-
- Promotes Growth – Hempseed oils greatest property is the perfect ratio of essential Omega fatty acids (EFA’s) and Omega 3, 6, and 9 (GLA-gamma-linoleic acid) and ceramides which helps retain protein and moisture in the hair. These fatty acids are needed for new hair growth. Hemp seed oil can also improve blood circulation in the scalp, thereby stimulating new hair growth.
- Nourishment – Hemp oil is high in protein, vitamins and minerals too. These properties are proven to stimulate hair growth for many, moisturizing and nourishing the hair, making it stronger and grow thicker and healthier, as well as help hair loss, improve thinning hair, and increase health.
- Moisturize – The moisturizing properties in hemp seed oil can both improve the follicles and the skin which helps create a perfect environment for growing hair.
- Reduce Inflammation – It has anti-inflammatory properties which will help stop any inflammation on the scalp that can lead to hair loss.
- Elasticity improvement – Because of the lipids, present in hemp oil, the increase in elasticity, volume and shine is observed.
- Strengthens hair – Hair is mostly (90%) made of protein. Hemp Oil not only contains 25% protein but also helps create keratin needed for the initial hair strand growth.
- Preventing Breakage of hair – When hair loses moisture, it can become very dry and break more easily. Hemp Seed Oil helps maintain the natural texture of hair, preventing water loss and adding moisture to the hair and scalp. This is especially important in drier climates or weathers, where hair tends to lose moisture more quickly.
Hemp oil for hair how to use
There are a number of different ways to apply the hemp oil hair treatment:-
- You can create a hair mask and apply the oil, leaving for 30mins-2 hours before rinsing.
- Alternatively you can apply a few drops to your shampoo and/or conditioner.
- You can rub in a few drops and leave in.
We have a number of Hemp Oil hair products that include the equally impressive jojoba oil which has many hair repair properties as well..
Hemp (Cannabis) oil contains many natural vitamins, fatty acids and proteins that are good for your hair and skin. We have already written of the many benefits it has for facial hair, but hemp oil is a great weapon against hair loss, thinning hair, and for hair regrowth.Losing hair can of course be caused by many diffe
What Pros Have to Say About Using Hemp Oil for Hair
Zoe Weiner・ February 26, 2020
But before we get into the wonders of coating your strands with hemp seed oil, let’s make sure we’re all on the same page about what’s what in the world of cannabis derivatives. Certain ingredients—namely hemp oil and hemp seed oil—may sound the same, but ultimately, these ingredients do different things for your hair and skin, so it’s important to understand what you’re spending your money on. Allow us (and the pros!) to break it down for you, so you know exactly what’s worth buying… and why.
The difference between hemp seed oil and hemp oil
First things first: you need to understand the terminology, because hemp oil and hemp seed oil are two completely different things. They both come from the cannabis plant, but hemp is derived from the leaves and the stalk. Meanwhile, hemp seed oil is derived from—you guessed it!—the seeds, and is cold-pressed the same way other carrier oils like jojoba and sunflower seed. The biggest difference between the two is that hemp oil is chock full of cannabanoids, like THC, CBN, and CBD, while hemp seed oil doesn’t have any of these.
Hemp seed oil, however, does have antioxidants, as well as omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which have made it a skin-care staple for decades. It’s known for its moisturizing and non-comedogenic properties, and considering that your scalp is skin, too, that means potentially great things for your hair as well.
“Hemp oil contains anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory topical properties, it’s rich in amino acids, vitamins and antioxidants which provide nourishing and soothing benefits for the scalp,” says Fabian Lliguin, co-founder and president of Rahua Beauty. He notes that in the same way that all skin types can benefit from using hemp seed oil, all hair types potentially can, too.
The potential benefits of using hempseed and hemp oil for hair
While there isn’t any declarative scientific evidence to support the specific benefits of hemp seed oil or hemp oil for hair, pros say there are still some reasons it could be worth integrating a few drops into your hair-care routine. “Hemp oil provides nourishment and hydration, because it has one of the highest concentrations of polyunsaturated fatty acids of all naturally occurring oils,” says Jennifer Weiderman, the CMO of Hempz. “It is non-greasy and provides an optimal balance for moisture retention.” There have also been murmurs on the Internet that hemp seed oil can help with hair growth and strengthening strands, thanks to the fact that it’s packed with proteins, but there has yet to be any research to back this up.
What we do know, however, is that hemp-derived oils are natural oils, and that other natural oils like coconut, mineral, and sunflower have been tapped all over the world used as hair treatments for centuries and have well-documented benefits. A 2015 study from the International Journal of Trichology found that oils play an “important role in protecting hair from damage,” and that “applying oil on a regular basis can enhance lubrication of the shaft and help prevent hair breakage.” While hemp seed and hemp oil for hair in particular haven’t been studied, it’s not a huge leap to say that they could potentially have some of the same benefits.
How to use hempseed and hemp oil for hair
If you want to integrate any sort hemp seed oil or hemp oil for hair into your routine, pros suggest doing it by way of a shampoo, conditioner, or treatment that combines it with other nourishing ingredients. Shop our picks, below.
Rahua Founder’s Blend Scalp & Hair Treatment, $40
This treatment mixes hemp oil with palo santo, sunflower, and rahua Oils, plus shea butter and quinoa. “These star ingredients strengthen the user’s follicles, balance the scalp’s moisture levels, act as an anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant, as well as nourish and sooth the scalp,” says Lliguin.
Love Beauty and Planet Hemp Seed Shampoo and Conditioner, $7 each
Photo: Love Beauty + Planet
Yup—you can get your hemp oil for hair fix at the drugstore. Love Beauty and Planet’s sulfate-free shower products use hemp seed oil and nana leaf to cleanse your scalp while nourishing your skin and strands. Users have raved about how gentle it is, and love it for its cooling sensation.
Briogeo B.Well 100mg CBD + Arnica Flower Soothing Skin & Scalp Oil, $48
Want to use hemp and hemp seed oil together? Try this treatment. It combines CBD (aka hemp) with its close cousin hempseed oil, plus arnica flower and tamanu oil, to calm your scalp before you even step out of the shower.
Hempz Herbal Healthy Hair Fortifying Shampoo and Conditioner, $18
Formulated for the sake of strengthening hair, these products use hemp oil alongside pomegranate and sunflower seed oil keep strands healthy and well-fortified.
Here’s what happened when our beauty editor tried CBD shampoo and conditioner for herself. Plus, why argan oil is another natural ingredient worth adding into your haircare routine…. especially if you want to grow your stands, STAT.
Using hemp oil for hair has many benefits, including nourishing your scalp and preventing breakage. Here's how to integrate it into your routine.